Heifer's Fair Share Meal
Heifer’s Fair Share Meal is a powerful role-playing game demonstrating how deeply class division affects those who lack resources and opportunities. Spanning only the length of a meal, it gives participants the opportunity to experience the world from a new perspective by “becoming” a person from a lower, middle, or upper-class life somewhere in the world. Participants receive the rights and resources appropriate to their class and engage in meaningful discussion with other participants while enjoying the meal.
Time frame: two (2) hours
Participant numbers: 20 – 100
Age: 11+ Youth should be mature enough to stick to a potentially undesirable role (such as being poor) for the duration of the meal. However, families and children as young as 8 should be able to participate with their adults without much trouble. Program logistics may need to be adjusted based on group size, age range, and other factors.
Cost per person: $25
Can’t come to Shepherd’s Spring?
Let us bring the Heifer Fair Share Meal to you!
What you provide:
- Commercial kitchen and dining room with plenty of space to seat everyone
- Separate meeting room with theater-style seating for everyone, a lectern, and a good AV system that can play a DVD
- Space for checking in and grouping according to class before entering dining area
- Check-in table with sign-in sheets and promotional materials
- All food, drinks, table settings, tarps or mats for “poor” people to sit on, etc.
- Staff or volunteers to help operate the program (not including kitchen staff)
- Wall space for hanging six (6) laminated posters
- Your own materials advertising this event
What we provide:
- Lead facilitator to “emcee” the program
- Character (role-play) cards for each participant
- Brief training for the roles that your staff/volunteers will play
- Posters and discussion materials
- DVD from Heifer International
- Educational and promotional materials
Offsite program cost: $30/person
Contact us today for more information or to schedule your event.