Heifer's Fair Share Meal
...It's an Experience!
Heifer’s Fair Share Meal is a powerful role-playing game demonstrating how deeply class division affects those who lack resources and opportunities. Spanning only the length of a meal, it gives participants the opportunity to experience the world from a new perspective by “becoming” a person from a lower, middle, or upper-class life somewhere in the world. Participants receive the rights and resources appropriate to their class and engage in meaningful discussion with other participants while enjoying the meal.
Time frame: two (2) hours
Participant numbers: 20 – 100
Age: 11+ Youth should be mature enough to stick to a potentially undesirable role (such as being poor) for the duration of the meal. However, families and children as young as 8 can participate with their adults without much trouble. Program logistics may need to be adjusted based on group size, age range and distribution, and other factors.
Shepherd’s Spring program cost: $10/person
Can’t come to Shepherd’s Spring? Let us bring the Heifer Fair Share Meal to you!
What you provide:
- Commercial kitchen and dining room with plenty of space to seat everyone
- Separate meeting room with theater-style seating for everyone, a lectern, and audiovisua equipment with a DVD player and a good functional sound system
- Functional kitchen and staff to perpare and clean up after the meal
- Ideally, lobby or hall space for check-in, restrooms, coats, etc.
- Check-in table with sign-in sheets and promotional materials
- All food, drinks, and utensils
- 4-6 staff or volunteers to help operate the program (not including kitchen staff)
- Space and a method for hanging six (6) laminated posters on the walls
- Your own materials advertising this event
- Optional: childcare services
What we provide:
- Lead facilitator to “emcee” the program
- Character (role-play) cards for each participant
- Brief training for the roles that your staff/volunteers will play
- Posters & discussion materials
- DVD from Heifer International
- Educational and promotional materials
Offsite program cost: $15/person
Contact us today for more information or to schedule your event.